Reps. Michelle Bachman, Bill Huizenga, Steve King, and Tom Harkin were all on hand when Mississippi World War II veterans stormed the World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. amid a government shutdown. King apparently “distracted” a guard while the veterans knocked down fences to get inside, said a witness.
“We’re very excited… It’s exactly what we wanted, and we got it,” Bachmann (R.-Minn.) said at the memorial on Tuesday, according to the Political Line website.
The veterans, who are from Mississippi were attempting to visit the memorial, but it was closed down due to the government shutdown that was placed in effect on Tuesday.
A witness said that Rep. King (R.-Iowa) helped “distract a park police officer” while veterans “knocked down the fences,” according to the Talking Points Memo website.
On Twitter, Leo Shane III wrote: “Honor flight vets just knocked over the barriers at the WWII memorial to get inside, #shutdown or no.”
He added, “Tons of applause as the WWII vets from Miss. storm their memorial. Park police on the way.”
The photos of the veterans went viral on Twitter, with some users suggesting that Republicans are trying to take responsibility for the move.
Ethan Clapper, the social media director with The Huffington Post, wrote: “Are conservative Republicans trying to own this?” However, it’s worth pointing out that Rep. Harkin is a Democrat from Iowa.
The post Michelle Bachman, Steve King on Site at World War II Memorial With Veterans appeared first on The Epoch Times.
- Officials Meet to Address Safety After Aviation Calamities
- US Defense Contractor Says Staff Targeted in Saudi Shooting
- Three Men Attempt to Rob a Domino’s, Didn’t Know Manager Was Armed
- 110,000 Iraqi Refugees in US, Where Are They?
- ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle: Families Go to War, Too
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Found Unresponsive in Bathtub, Taken to Hospital: Reports
- Pilots in Helium-Filled Balloon Land Safely in Mexico
- Opponents of U.S.-Cuba Normalization Speak Up
- Will Climate Change Be a Decisive Issue in 2016 Presidential Elections?
- ‘Suge’ Knight’s Brushes With Death Outnumber Murder Charges