Reps. Michelle Bachman, Bill Huizenga, Steve King, and Tom Harkin were all on hand when Mississippi World War II veterans stormed the World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. amid a government shutdown. King apparently “distracted” a guard while the veterans knocked down fences to get inside, said a witness.
“We’re very excited… It’s exactly what we wanted, and we got it,” Bachmann (R.-Minn.) said at the memorial on Tuesday, according to the Political Line website.
The veterans, who are from Mississippi were attempting to visit the memorial, but it was closed down due to the government shutdown that was placed in effect on Tuesday.
A witness said that Rep. King (R.-Iowa) helped “distract a park police officer” while veterans “knocked down the fences,” according to the Talking Points Memo website.
On Twitter, Leo Shane III wrote: “Honor flight vets just knocked over the barriers at the WWII memorial to get inside, #shutdown or no.”
He added, “Tons of applause as the WWII vets from Miss. storm their memorial. Park police on the way.”
The photos of the veterans went viral on Twitter, with some users suggesting that Republicans are trying to take responsibility for the move.
Ethan Clapper, the social media director with The Huffington Post, wrote: “Are conservative Republicans trying to own this?” However, it’s worth pointing out that Rep. Harkin is a Democrat from Iowa.
The post Michelle Bachman, Steve King on Site at World War II Memorial With Veterans appeared first on The Epoch Times.
- Danielle ‘Dani’ Cogswell Dead: Photos and Info About University of Louisvile Cheerleader
- Tornado in Denver Today: Large Tornado Spotted Near Denver International Airport (+Photos)
- Iraq Veteran Raises Awareness for Animal Shelters
- Unemployment Benefits Extension 2014: Weekly Claims Down
- 7 Facts That Make You Delete Facebook (Video)
- States’ Use of Execution Drugs Varies Widely
- 3 Children Killed as Carjacked SUV Plows Into Church Group Selling Fruit
- Haboob : Phoenix Dust Storm Warning Issued; Arizona’s Pinal County Also
- Drudge Report Focuses on Obama ‘Impeachment’ Warning Report
- Drudge Report Focuses on Obama ‘Impeachment’ Warning